Friday, August 27, 2004

reminds me of a guy I know

This guy is a real debater, but if you manage to corner him with facts he always takes refuge in the "well you could be right, I could be right, there is no way to tell" malarky. In other words, there is no truth, just various opinions which can't be assessed on the basis of validity.

What is even more amazing, this guy is a scientist by training!

Well it seems that I am not alone as Josh Marshall has encountered the same phenomenon:

"...Republicans seem to have such a hard time distinguishing between ads with a factual basis and ones that include malicious falsehoods. It's such a mystery. I have to assume it's another example of the GOP's embrace of epistemological relativism -- all truths are equal, there is no truth, only opinion masquerading as truth, etc."